Gametramp

Gametramp (http://www.gametramp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask/Tell (http://www.gametramp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   me about war! (http://www.gametramp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510)

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 00:50

me about war!

And why not! It seems to be a subject brought up around here often enough, not not very many of you actually have experiences from today's fighting forces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1upsoldier.png

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 00:59

To dispel a couple of common misconceptions right off the bat:

Yes, that's mine, I made it myself, and no, it's not airsoft, the M16 looks plastic for a Reason.

MerX Back 91 09-Aug-2010 01:13

That's one badass mushroom you've got there!

... I've heard much about this 'war' of which you speak. Most of it from a vet I know who played Ps2 with his buddies in a tent in Iraq for a few years. I've heard many stories of them pausing the game during mortar strikes then resuming once they were over. Sounds fun!

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 01:21

That's an old war. Iraq? Ps2? Nothing exciting goes on with either of Those anymore!

MerX Back 91 09-Aug-2010 01:31

Random nonsense: The same ps2 had 'DONT TOUCH MY SHIT' written in silver Sharpie all over it.

Do you get a free boone hat with your uniform?

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 01:34

Yes! That's what my mushroom is wearing right there. In fact, just about everything they give me is free, unless I lose it.

MerX Back 91 09-Aug-2010 01:39

Sweeeeeeeet!

Is it relatively easy to get at least a 98 on the ASVAB and an 85 on the DLAB?

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 01:47

I got a 91 and a 125, respectively.

I did a 75 on the practice ASVAB that my recruiter had me take first, and he thought that was amazing as it was. He hated me after the 91, but it's still pretty low compared to a couple of my peers.

I stink at maths, which is why I scored as low as a 91, but then again, I stink at maths, and Still scored as high as a 91.

MerX Back 91 09-Aug-2010 02:02

I pulled those numbers out of the army special forces pamphlet that I like to keep handy for some reason. And you beat my dad who had an 87 and a 110.

For the sake of me not cluttering up your thread any more than I already am, I will ask two questions instead of one. Like most of my questions, they are rather stupid.

-Do you get to keep any gear besides your uniform when returning to civvie-ness?

-Side arm?

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 04:44

You get to keep some gear. On the list of items issued to you, it tells you whether they want them back some time or whether you can keep it or lose it. Note, though, that a lot of that stuff is available in the civilian market in places, and maybe stores sell issue-standard or better gear commercially. Nothing says you can't buy your own stuff for keeps.

As far as side arm goes, you get what you get depending on your needs, but I'm pretty sure that a something thousand dollar weapon system is something the unit wants back before getting rid of you.

Jesse the Great Tsar 09-Aug-2010 11:47

My father was in the Navy... Mediterranean Fleet working on planes...

But anyways, the place he works now used to station a B-52 with a nuke in the Cold War. And I now have a fancy little manual he found that looks to be an artillery operators.

Looks like this:
http://www.survival-school.org/Porta...n_Notebook.jpg

MerX Back 91 09-Aug-2010 19:13

Do they still give you crackers in silver packages?

Kane 09-Aug-2010 19:36

Do you get to keep the m16 (or whatever main gun your issued)?

Vmag 09-Aug-2010 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane (Post 12885)
Do you get to keep the m16 (or whatever main gun your issued)?

Until I turn it in, so, no :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerX Back 91 (Post 12884)
Do they still give you crackers in silver packages?

They come in brown plastic packages these days!

No probing invasive questions? Like, ethical political nature of such and such and so forth? I'm sure we've got good questions in here somewhere.

zakmac12 09-Aug-2010 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmag (Post 12887)
Until I turn it in, so, no :(

They come in brown plastic packages these days!

No probing invasive questions? Like, ethical political nature of such and such and so forth? I'm sure we've got good questions in here somewhere.

You're asking me or Kevin to pose a question then, eh?

I dunno, I don't have too many ethical problems with people joining the military, it's more-so the politicians that lead it. For me *shrug*

What is it like to be desensitized to killing? I don't mean that in like a crazy psychopath manner, but I know they train soldiers to kill and not feel horrible remorse about it. *shrug*

Taepodong-2 09-Aug-2010 21:46

What would you recommend someone do more of to get in shape for the military? Running or pushups and situps?

Vmag 10-Aug-2010 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakmac12 (Post 12888)
I dunno, I don't have too many ethical problems with people joining the military, it's more-so the politicians that lead it. For me *shrug*

For everyone. It'd probably be over a lot quicker and efficiently if it weren't for certain pachyderm-skinned hard heads that insist that Dominance of the Party is more important than Lives of the Citizens, regardless of the issue. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy is the Party.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakmac12 (Post 12888)
What is it like to be desensitized to killing? I don't mean that in like a crazy psychopath manner, but I know they train soldiers to kill and not feel horrible remorse about it. *shrug*

Do what you gotta do, I suppose. A lot of it is self-defense and the self-defense of your buddies. People never do feel comfortable with killing people, that's why many take efforts to distance themselves from it.
What it comes down to the most, though, is that there are people whose goal for that day is to kill you and those around you, and that's really the end of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taepodong-2 (Post 12892)
What would you recommend someone do more of to get in shape for the military? Running or pushups and situps?

Depends on what you're weak in. If you're a pretty weak guy, go ahead and start working on your triceps, chest, and shoulder muscles, but always try to work your run. Running can last almost a whole hour, so you might as well get used to doing it a lot.

MerX Back 91 10-Aug-2010 01:53

Are you ever really commanded to randomly drop and give 100 pushups? Cause I'd rather it be about 10.

Vmag 10-Aug-2010 05:21

If you're dropped to do pushups, it's usually some sort of corrective training. So either you did something that you needed sore muscles to remind you not to, or they just really appreciated your sense of humor.

I haven't had to do 100 for something like that. Heck, last time I've had that really go on at a regular basis was Basic. Most was 82, cause the Drill Sergeant used to roll with the 82nd. Which is really 82+1 for the Airborne.

Rhinestone 10-Aug-2010 14:50

So do you also get those MRE's? My friends dad is in the marines and brings back those things from his trips to the base he's at, and we eat those every now and then.
For pre made food, cooked with science in a plastic bag they aren't that bad :P