Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Ask/Tell

Old 01-May-2010, 06:57

Ama Ask me about Becoming or Being a Teacher

If you're interested, I'm a teacher.

I have a degree in Political Science and a Degree in History. I'm also a licensed teacher and am getting my Master's in Education. I'll then be getting my Doctorate, probably in Foreign Affairs.

I've taught middle school at an inner-city school that was 90% free lunch and 65% Second Language (English was not the language spoken in the home). It was in gang territory, and despite that the kids were young they were part of that community. I taught Humanities there.

I also taught high school at an inner-city school, also in gang territory and with about the same, if not more diverse, demography. "Diverse" is a code word for "poor, non-English speaking" in education. I didn't wear red to school here, because it could have been potentially dangerous, but even if it wasn't it may have harmed my relationship with some of my students. I taught Economics in this environment.

I currently teach high school at a "zip code" (that means filthy rich), almost all white school. I teach Freshmen US History Honors primarily, though I do have one class that's a mix of Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. The mixed class is a World Religions class. This is one of the ten wealthiest school districts in the nation and the students here are very different than they were at my last two environments.

It has been and will continue to be an incredible learning experience. If you have questions about how to become a teacher or what it's like to be a teacher, ask away.
Old 03-May-2010, 16:42

No more riffraff tomfoolery, eh?
Old 04-May-2010, 18:32

Do you constantly develop new lesson plans, or are you lazy and reuse them?
Old 04-May-2010, 20:23

Do you plan on becoming a college professor Ala? By the progression of your career, it seems like that is going to be the case.
Also, how much use do you make of your PoliSci degree in teaching history?
Old 05-May-2010, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy the Evil View Post
Do you constantly develop new lesson plans, or are you lazy and reuse them?
Right now I develop new ones each day, but that'll change shortly. I'm building my own to show I can. That'll be over soon and then I get to use other people's crap again, thank God.

I mean once in a while it's cool, but it's a lot of work. A lot more work than people think.

Hopefully as I start my actual career, I'll get someone else's stuff and I can go through and replace like two out of five with my own stuff each year and slowly make it my own.

That's really the best way to do it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmac12 View Post
Do you plan on becoming a college professor Ala? By the progression of your career, it seems like that is going to be the case.
Nah, I like high school.

Quote:
Also, how much use do you make of your PoliSci degree in teaching history?
All the time. Every day. I can answer many questions the kids have because of my Poli Sci background that otherwise I couldn't. I really think it was the best compliment to my History major that I could have chosen. Questions come up all the time that if I hadn't taken Poli Sci, I simply wouldn't be able to answer.

I've had many very deep conversations already with the kids because of it. It's been invaluable.
Old 05-May-2010, 07:15

Humor

Don't be the radical Marx professor, umkay?
Old 06-May-2010, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse the Great Tsar View Post
Don't be the radical Marx professor, umkay?
Okay.
Old 06-May-2010, 21:44

I actually took a test this year at my school that is supposed to give you Career connections. Other than Military Intelligence and Nuclear Bio-Engineer, there was Secondary and Post Secondary History teacher as a recommendation. After I get out of the service, I'd love to teach a history class.

No offense to my history teacher, but he's a fucking idiot. I tried to talk to him about how we funded the Proxy War in Afghanistan for the Mujahadeen to resist the Soviets, and how the Mujahadeen evolved into the Taliban and Al-Qaeda and are attacking us now. He was mindfucked. I was disappointed. Then again, I did get the "Student of the Year" in the entire History department, an award that usually goes to seniors.

I'm a freshman.
Old 06-May-2010, 22:47
Superior ef'n Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I actually took a test this year at my school that is supposed to give you Career connections. Other than Military Intelligence and Nuclear Bio-Engineer, there was Secondary and Post Secondary History teacher as a recommendation. After I get out of the service, I'd love to teach a history class.

No offense to my history teacher, but he's a fucking idiot. I tried to talk to him about how we funded the Proxy War in Afghanistan for the Mujahadeen to resist the Soviets, and how the Mujahadeen evolved into the Taliban and Al-Qaeda and are attacking us now. He was mindfucked. I was disappointed. Then again, I did get the "Student of the Year" in the entire History department, an award that usually goes to seniors.

I'm a freshman.
You could pull a muscle if you're not careful.

Try this: http://www.freshpatents.com/Automati...0080177206.php
Old 07-May-2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post

No offense to my history teacher, but he's a fucking idiot. I tried to talk to him about how we funded the Proxy War in Afghanistan for the Mujahadeen to resist the Soviets, and how the Mujahadeen evolved into the Taliban and Al-Qaeda and are attacking us now. He was mindfucked. I was disappointed. Then again, I did get the "Hero of the Soviet Union" in the entire History department, an award that usually goes to seniors.

I'm a freshman.
fix'd
Old 08-May-2010, 08:44

I want to set up a board like this for my students.

I'm really excited to do so actually, and want to use it in my classroom.
Old 08-May-2010, 09:48

School

Another thing, aside from the boards, that I intend to use in my class are toys and candy.

Since I'll hopefully be teaching Economics at some stage, I'll be using these as department fundraisers. I'll sell the students some candy and some toys and hopefully make enough each year to be able to do some good things for the classroom.

I figure if I make $400 per year (not hard with 180 students that might want candy every single day) that's pretty good. I'll then open an account with the profits and start letting my students track the account status so they can see how well their investment is doing.

Each year I'll continue to build into the account by selling candy and toys. Easy Peasy.

Each year, I'll take the amount of interest minus inflation, and what's left is profit. I'll divide that profit by 2, spending half of it on things for our classroom at the beginning of the year (technology, field trips, decorations, tools, etc) and leaving the other half of the profit in the account to ensure that it coninues to grow.

When I retire, I will take the money and establish a trust fund. I'll then donate that trust fund to the public school system and encourage other economics teachers to do the same thing. Hopefully this way, through private efforts and donations, we can eventually have a small hand in helping to keep our public schools public - and still give them the resources they need to be effective.
Old 08-May-2010, 10:19
Superior ef'n Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Another thing, aside from the boards, that I intend to use in my class are toys and candy.

Since I'll hopefully be teaching Economics at some stage, I'll be using these as department fundraisers. I'll sell the students some candy and some toys and hopefully make enough each year to be able to do some good things for the classroom.

I figure if I make $400 per year (not hard with 180 students that might want candy every single day) that's pretty good. I'll then open an account with the profits and start letting my students track the account status so they can see how well their investment is doing.

Each year I'll continue to build into the account by selling candy and toys. Easy Peasy.

Each year, I'll take the amount of interest minus inflation, and what's left is profit. I'll divide that profit by 2, spending half of it on things for our classroom at the beginning of the year (technology, field trips, decorations, tools, etc) and leaving the other half of the profit in the account to ensure that it coninues to grow.

When I retire, I will take the money and establish a trust fund. I'll then donate that trust fund to the public school system and encourage other economics teachers to do the same thing. Hopefully this way, through private efforts and donations, we can eventually have a small hand in helping to keep our public schools public - and still give them the resources they need to be effective.
That's a really good idea Al. You might even take this to the next level and rent ad space on your desk. Maybe even a condom dispenser in the corner. Well, maybe not a condom dispenser, but you get the idea.
Old 08-May-2010, 10:58

Quote:
That's the way the system should be funded.
Old 08-May-2010, 11:04

Quote:
That's the way the system should be funded.
I disagree.

Douglas County Schools in Colorado for example, is one of the top ten school districts in the nation.

It costs the people of Douglas County less than six dollars per day to send their kids to this school.

There is no cheaper baby-sitter in the world, and there are people out there who pay $50,000 per year to send their kids to schools that are not as good as these.

The parents should understand that it costs money to provide a good education, and they should support their schools.

What I'm talking about doing is out of sheer desperation and because of the ignorance of people who think a good education comes free.

The cities and the parents should fund education, but they're not doing so. The result is that the teachers have to supplement the education of other people's children on their own.

I'm not doing it because it should be done. I'm doing it because if I don't pick up the slack for ignorant parents, their children are going to get fucked.
Old 08-May-2010, 11:08

CPS is great these days.
Old 08-May-2010, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRsTrIkE View Post
CPS is great these days.
CPS?
Old 08-May-2010, 11:12

Quote:
CPS?
Chicago Public Schools. As a teacher, I'd've though you'd've heard about them.
Old 08-May-2010, 11:20

Rant

Quote:
I disagree.

Douglas County Schools in Colorado for example, is one of the top ten school districts in the nation.

It costs the people of Douglas County less than six dollars per day to send their kids to this school.

There is no cheaper baby-sitter in the world, and there are people out there who pay $50,000 per year to send their kids to schools that are not as good as these.

The parents should understand that it costs money to provide a good education, and they should support their schools.

What I'm talking about doing is out of sheer desperation and because of the ignorance of people who think a good education comes free.

The cities and the parents should fund education, but they're not doing so. The result is that the teachers have to supplement the education of other people's children on their own.

I'm not doing it because it should be done. I'm doing it because if I don't pick up the slack for ignorant parents, their children are going to get fucked.
I meant private funding, Aly...
Old 08-May-2010, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRsTrIkE View Post
Chicago Public Schools. As a teacher, I'd've though you'd've heard about them.
Ah. Well, there are a lot of "CPS" in the world. Yes, I'm familiar with Chicago's Public School system. It operates surprisingly well considering their circumstance, no doubt thanks to the massive amount of time the teachers spend working their asses off.

In fact, one of my DU professors was a teacher there for quite some time and worked at an inner-city school. It was very violent, riddled with drugs and gangs, and he worked his ass off to give them every opportunity that he could.

Chicago's teachers deserve Medals of Honor.

Quote:
I meant private funding, Aly...
Oops. My bad. Still, it's fun to rant sometimes. Please forgive me.