Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > Ask/Tell

Old 08-May-2010, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Ah. Well, there are a lot of "CPS" in the world.
Considering my background and the topic at hand, it should've been self-explainatory.

Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with Chicago's Public School system. It operates surprisingly well considering their circumstance, no doubt thanks to the massive amount of time the teachers spend working their asses off.

In fact, one of my DU professors was a teacher there for quite some time and worked at an inner-city school. It was very violent, riddled with drugs and gangs, and he worked his ass off to give them every opportunity that he could.
There may be some super teachers in the CPS system, but that doesn't change the fact that they're fighting a losing battle. Illinois has one of, if not the worst funding system in the country, with nothing coming from the state, and everything coming from the town the school is in, with no equalizers at all.

The CPS system is terrible alone, they get no funding, have 50% graduation rates, a CEO who doesn't have a clue about education, it acts more like a corporation than an education system.

Don't get me wrong. I got nothing against the teachers.
Old 08-May-2010, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRsTrIkE View Post
Considering my background and the topic at hand, it should've been self-explainatory.

There may be some super teachers in the CPS system, but that doesn't change the fact that they're fighting a losing battle. Illinois has one of, if not the worst funding system in the country, with nothing coming from the state, and everything coming from the town the school is in, with no equalizers at all.

The CPS system is terrible alone, they get no funding, have 50% graduation rates, a CEO who doesn't have a clue about education, it acts more like a corporation than an education system.

Don't get me wrong. I got nothing against the teachers.
DPS (Detroit Public Schools)~ 25% graduation rate

I don't see whats bad about Chicago,
Old 08-May-2010, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse the Great Tsar View Post
DPS (Detroit Public Schools)~ 25% graduation rate

I don't see whats bad about Chicago,
My high schools drop out Rate is like 30%-40%
We keep losing more and more funding also, so less classes and less opportunities, but yet in my county we have some of the most kids going to big colleges like Stanford, Harvard, Princton, and UC berkely than any other school in my city and county.
Old 09-May-2010, 19:31

How hard is it for you to keep your opinions out of the classroom Ala?

I'm currently in AP US History, and my teacher is VERY good at keeping his opinions separate from his class, but that gives my friend and I a challenge to try to get him to show his views, it's interesting usually.

Also, what other jobs do you see as being viable for somebody with a PoliSci major? I really want to have that be at least one of my majors, but I don't want to be a teacher (Simply due to lack of independence).
Old 09-May-2010, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
My high schools drop out Rate is like 30%-40%
We keep losing more and more funding also, so less classes and less opportunities, but yet in my county we have some of the most kids going to big colleges like Stanford, Harvard, Princton, and UC berkely than any other school in my city and county.
Lol, my school has a 99.8% graduation rate.

...yeah.

Scottsdale ftw?

But yeah, I was just about to ask what Zak asked. Both of my middle school history teachers had big opinions. 7th grade teacher is a very sweet lady, but she's uber-conservative. 8th grade teacher openly describes herself as a "pacifist" and talks about her views, but she didn't push them on us and kept them separate from the lessons.

So I'm interested to hear how history teachers do it.
Old 09-May-2010, 21:49

In my history teacher's 'lectures', he likes to talk about how politically wrong everyone was and why they all go to hell.
Old 09-May-2010, 23:12

In the past 60 years of my schools existance, not one student has not moved on to college.
Old 10-May-2010, 10:28

Ever had to fight a kid Al?
Old 19-May-2010, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmac12 View Post
How hard is it for you to keep your opinions out of the classroom Ala?
Not that hard. Once you get used to it it's not hard. I do drop factual information on the students, but I refrain from offering my opinions.

When I do offer my opinions, I cage the comments very carefully, tell them that they're my opinion and that they really owe it to themselves to seek their own answers.

Quote:
I'm currently in AP US History, and my teacher is VERY good at keeping his opinions separate from his class, but that gives my friend and I a challenge to try to get him to show his views, it's interesting usually.
Yeah, that can be fun too. This is why I try to do it actually. The students learn more in the process of probing than they would if I just told them.

Quote:
Also, what other jobs do you see as being viable for somebody with a PoliSci major? I really want to have that be at least one of my majors, but I don't want to be a teacher (Simply due to lack of independence).
Poli Sci matters nae damn for teaching. I mean it's helpful to know, but most teachers are not Pols majors. Generally speaking, Pols majors make a lot more than a teacher, so they don't become teachers.

Any social science degree will do fine for teaching. I've found Pols to be particularly handy, however. Sociology, History or Econ are other good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
Ever had to fight a kid Al?
No...
Old 20-May-2010, 20:02

Guns Ohshi

OMFG ROFLCOPTER AWESOMESAUCE IT'S ALASTOR
Old 11-Jun-2010, 16:00

Hey, Al. I noticed something. my school is actually having higher scores than recently: http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...ct-profile/590

ACT results are also higher than the rest of the state.

And we get less money than the state avg. Or is that because the place is mostly white? (no racial offense there (Now that I think of it, could having a single race be better in a school to reduce tensions?)) It may be that we have a lower student to teacher ratio. 18:1 compared to 21:1

Last edited by Jesse the Great Tsar; 11-Jun-2010 at 19:27.
Old 12-Jun-2010, 12:18

Ala where do you teach?
Old 16-Jun-2010, 03:48

Quote:
Hey, Al. I noticed something. my school is actually having higher scores than recently: http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...ct-profile/590

ACT results are also higher than the rest of the state.
Excellent!

Quote:
And we get less money than the state avg. Or is that because the place is mostly white? (no racial offense there (Now that I think of it, could having a single race be better in a school to reduce tensions?)) It may be that we have a lower student to teacher ratio. 18:1 compared to 21:1
There are any number of different reasons your school's scores might be improving. It's hard for me to speculate from a distance.

I'd definitely say that if you only have 18 students in a class then that's a pretty big factor.

It's probably not the only factor, but it's a significant factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerX Back 91 View Post
Ala where do you teach?
Nowhere currently. I'm applying for positions as we speak.
Old 16-Jun-2010, 12:09

A history teacher? Awesome.

I love history, and being a history teacher is something I'm considering.
Old 18-Jun-2010, 18:37

Did you say you were a former mod and that gives you experience in keeping the classroom calm?
Old 19-Jun-2010, 14:45

Quote:
Did you say you were a former mod and that gives you experience in keeping the classroom calm?
No. The two circumstances aren't really comparable.

For one thing, you guys were fantastic, and you still are.

It really only took a couple of mods to run that entire site, even with completely broken and antiquated tools.

Look around this board too. You see many of the people that made up the heart and soul of the Pandemic community here, and we don't even have moderators here. Sure, you guys have your quibbles as everyone does, but you work them out too.

This board doesn't need any moderators at all. That's a direct reflection of the same type of character and intelligence that was present at the Pandemic boards as well.

You guys wanted to be there, you were smart, you wanted a structure, and you made it easy.

A high school classroom has almost none of those traits. It's not a good comparison.

I do talk about how we interacted together though, and I point out that I'm able to build appropriate but meaningful relationships with people in your age range, so that certainly helps bolster my case.

In that regard the community helps me because it provides proof that I can be the kind of teacher most schools are looking for.
Old 19-Jun-2010, 16:17

A history teacher is a career I'm considering if the military doesn't work out for me. About how long do you have to go to school to become a history teacher?
Old 19-Jun-2010, 19:14

Byob Help

Quote:
No. The two circumstances aren't really comparable.

For one thing, you guys were fantastic, and you still are.

It really only took a couple of mods to run that entire site, even with completely broken and antiquated tools.

Look around this board too. You see many of the people that made up the heart and soul of the Pandemic community here, and we don't even have moderators here. Sure, you guys have your quibbles as everyone does, but you work them out too.

This board doesn't need any moderators at all. That's a direct reflection of the same type of character and intelligence that was present at the Pandemic boards as well.

You guys wanted to be there, you were smart, you wanted a structure, and you made it easy.

A high school classroom has almost none of those traits. It's not a good comparison.

I do talk about how we interacted together though, and I point out that I'm able to build appropriate but meaningful relationships with people in your age range, so that certainly helps bolster my case.

In that regard the community helps me because it provides proof that I can be the kind of teacher most schools are looking for.
Sorry for making you write so much for a joke....
Old 20-Jun-2010, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taepodong-2 View Post
A history teacher is a career I'm considering if the military doesn't work out for me. About how long do you have to go to school to become a history teacher?
You need to have at least a four year degree, and then you have to get a college to endorse you as well, which usually involves more classes.

That's the starter kit though.

Really, you're going to eventually need a masters to even really get anywhere in the career field.

Then you have extra classes on top of that.

For example, I have a class this summer that teaches me to work with Gifted and Talented students. I then have another class that teaches me how to develop curriculum for them.

These are both post-grad level classes, and they're very hard.

Then I have to go get my Language Arts endorsement, which is another class and a test. Then filing the papers.

Then I have to get my ESL (Endlish as a Second Language) certification so that I can be more qualified to teach students who don't have English as their native language.

Then I have to get certified in Project Citizen.

Then I have to get certified in We The People.

Then I have to get certified in AP.

Then I have to get certified in IB.

And the list goes on and on...

So the answer is, "a lot."

You'll have to do it sooner or later. No school will even look twice at you without a licensure and at least a bachelors. As soon as you get hired though, you need to have all the other certifications too.

All this for about $36,000 per year, before taxes.
Old 22-Jun-2010, 14:53

How would you use an ESL skill?