Go Back   Gametramp > Public Genital > "Sports"

Old 03-Apr-2009, 07:56

Sports Dci/wgi

Let's make use of the forum then shall we?

DCI/WGI fanatic right here!

If you don't know what that is do your research.

Yes I am a former GG and proud of that fact. I can throw some equipment around.

If you've never experienced a show, go experience once, just for ... the experience. Some love it, some don't get it but how could they not?

It's about the talent, dedication and the ever evolving creative process.
Old 03-Apr-2009, 08:05
Yeah, we did it.

Sex

I love marching band. Those little uniforms are so hot.

Color Guard too.
Old 03-Apr-2009, 08:08

This is really a sport? Even a "sport?"

Wow. Okay. I'd go, but I think I'd drive anyone sitting next to me crazy because I can't sit still well and ... Well... It's not a game. Throw enough beer at me and I could pull it off I think.
Old 03-Apr-2009, 10:01

Send a message via AIM to Vmag Send a message via MSN to Vmag Send a message via Yahoo to Vmag
Sports

I guess if it's done on a field, atca sporting event, forget that they aren't even therr to see YOU, it's a sport.

Cheerleaders think they got it rough?! They aren't walking and playing the trombone at the same time!

If I ever find myself part of any faculty environment, I am so going to push Drama into a sport, with applicable PT credits. Alastor, you're on the 'inside'. Wanna try for it?
Old 03-Apr-2009, 15:23

i hate "sports" a bunch of jocks speaking in code gahhhh i'm a nerd deal with it
Old 03-Apr-2009, 19:37
Superior ef'n Being

DCI/WGI...M.O.U.S.EEEE

Ok, I'm lazy and don't care to "do my research".

I can assume, from reading the replies though, that it has something to do with marching band..sooo...

You are suggesting that whatever these unintelligible letters are referring to should be considered a sport? And you qualify this statement by denoting the necessary talent, dedication and the "ever evolving" creative process?

Wouldn't this theory then also transfer to say juggling? Songwriting? Even prostitution in a twisted sense? Wouldn't they then also qualify as a sport?

I know you are probably not very happy as you are reading this response, but I am merely playing the devils advocate right now to elicit a response from you. Hoping that this response will include an explanation of what the hell you are talking about. You see, this way I won't have to google "DCI/WGI. And maybe, as a bonus, you can throw in what the fuck a GG is.

I told you I'm lazy.
Old 03-Apr-2009, 20:35

Send a message via AIM to Dodecalypse

DCI is fucking fantastic. We had a drummer this year make into the Santa Clara Vanguard. The guys are the best of the best when it comes to marching.

Unfortunately, I play trombone and DCI is strictly valved brass. What, may I ask, instrument did you play?
Old 03-Apr-2009, 21:33

Send a message via AIM to Vmag Send a message via MSN to Vmag Send a message via Yahoo to Vmag

So we have established that this borderline music then? Will we be getting Cirque de Soleil an official timeslot on ESPN2?
Old 04-Apr-2009, 19:42

Sports Dci/wgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freet View Post
DCI/WGI...M.O.U.S.EEEE

Ok, I'm lazy and don't care to "do my research".

I can assume, from reading the replies though, that it has something to do with marching band..sooo...

You are suggesting that whatever these unintelligible letters are referring to should be considered a sport? And you qualify this statement by denoting the necessary talent, dedication and the "ever evolving" creative process?

Wouldn't this theory then also transfer to say juggling? Songwriting? Even prostitution in a twisted sense? Wouldn't they then also qualify as a sport?

I know you are probably not very happy as you are reading this response, but I am merely playing the devils advocate right now to elicit a response from you. Hoping that this response will include an explanation of what the hell you are talking about. You see, this way I won't have to google "DCI/WGI. And maybe, as a bonus, you can throw in what the fuck a GG is.

I told you I'm lazy.

In reading your post I was thrilled, not in the least disappointed. Why?

1st you're curious and while you might be lazy, self proclaimed of course you are still open to receiving information vs. being dismissive, that I embrace.

Here's a little tidbit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWmM1jpM8I

One who participates in DCI/WGI must memorize all music being performed combined with all drill being marched. DCI/WGI is not for everyone but those who are committed become dedicated to it. This is also done on the participants free time, one has to pay to march.

Aside from the individual involved in the activity, there is a host of others involved. From the unit directors to staff themselves involved in the creative process. From show concept to music selection, from writing of drill to equipment writing.

Granted this isn't meant to convert you or convince you, I have no interest in that, just to better inform.

Enjoy~

Last edited by Fresh; 04-Apr-2009 at 20:51.
Old 04-Apr-2009, 21:06

So... from how you've described it... When I went and saw Styx the other month, I was watching an honest-to-goodness sporting event? As in, a professional sporting event?

Huh. You know, I've never actually been to an actual professional sporting event before in my life. Guess I just didn't know.
Old 05-Apr-2009, 11:34

Send a message via AIM to Dodecalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmag View Post
So... from how you've described it... When I went and saw Styx the other month, I was watching an honest-to-goodness sporting event? As in, a professional sporting event?

Huh. You know, I've never actually been to an actual professional sporting event before in my life. Guess I just didn't know.

Well, for one, marching bands play good music.

But there's a lot more to marching than you may think. It is not simply walking, but an extreme calf work out. Most bands use a technique called roll stepping which is basically rolling your feet, but you must also raise the front of your foot or each step which in most cases is more strenuous than running.

And that's just the marching. The memorization and music is extremely difficult to match up.
Old 05-Apr-2009, 12:12

As someone who makes a career out of quick time, I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this one. Moving forward while playing an instrument is no more physically demanding than sitting down and playing in a full orchestra for an entire evening; in fact, it's most likely less demanding.

Now, if they were playing music while double timing, Then that'd be interesting. Otherwise, they might as well be moseying along while playing the kazoo.

The "required memorization" bit is a weird angle to go on. Sure, rules and strategies in sports require some memorization, but having to memorize your music doesn't make music a sport. If that were the case, learning a language and playing video games would have cereal box sponsorships by now.

Tags
mandozer the gay